Friday, August 01, 2008

Of Uncles and Balls

Today, I was walking through a municipal corporation ground while walking my dogs and there I saw a group of kids playing cricket. Immediately, the youth in me took over and I felt like joining them for a game despite my canine entourage.
And then it happened, one of the boys hit a ball and it came flying towards me and landed right next to my feet. It was a small ball, rubber, blue, shining, inviting. And there it stood, right in front of the three of us, man and beast coveting the ball alike. The kid posted at long on, ran over to me and came up to collect the remains of an astounding shot.
And there I was, waiting for him to ask me to join in their game, maybe even join midway through this one (as they were a keeper short). I was bristling at the opportunity to showcase my sportsman skills. The dash towards the boundary, the rolling in the mud, the incessant appealing, the fright on seeing the fastest opposing bowler, the inventive sledging, hoick over mid-wicket, the satisfaction of finally placing that cover drive, all came to me in a menagerie of frenzy, excitement, lust, exhilaration!
And so the kid ran up to me, walked about to about 10 feet within me. I was just waiting for him to ask the question, quivering with adrenaline. And there, his lips moved : "Uncle.... could you please pass the ball?"

"Uncle?" :|
So much for youth

Berhael

3 comments:

Makam said...

Well, according to you, they were kids.. :) So, for them, you are an uncle! :P

Berhael said...

@makam
yes yes, but i was at least hoping for a face-saving "Anna" :(

Mohan K.V said...

Ah, the 'uncle' moment for all of us is so unforgettable no? Somehow the 'sir' moment doesn't hold as much punch. I wonder if the 'Periyvare' is as diffuse :P