Thursday, June 12, 2008

Of cooking and learning...

Exams are over, my university is decided, I am free till August.. I have been using my time in the mornings to practice my cooking. And it is improving by leaps and bounds if I may say so in my humble opinion.
I can now make 7 different standard vegetables, 3-4 sambhars, whatever whatever spice combos to make rasams, some 1-2 thohails. Now it's time to switch to the variety rices.. puliyodharai, tomato rice, fried rice, lemon rice and other stuff like upama and pongal, so on. Let's hope that clicks. :) I must recommend the book by Viji Varadarajan's Samayal its a wonderful book for one who does not have too much time to browse through detailed recipes. However you are sure to grow out of it, as I am starting to find out, but a good book to get u started.
For now, here is a sample of my cooking :)



It's Murungaka sambhar, potato mixed curry and kothavaranga karamadhu. It tasted pretty well too!
--Berhael
PS - THANK YOU MOM :)
Update : Viji's Site can be found at www.vijisamayal.org

6 comments:

Ganesh said...

Are you going to cook on Sunday? ;)

bitter_chocolate said...

very impressive, oh multi faceted creature :)
but i wd have believed u even without the pictures :)

Unknown said...

Hi!
Was glad to see you mention my cookbook. My new editions (4 cookbooks in all) is meant to make it easy for first timers in the kitchen. I am just completing my website and I would like to send you the link.

Berhael said...

@ganesh
did it LOOK like i cooked? :D
@bitter
thank u.. :) and anytime.. ;)
@viji
thanks maami for a such good book. please do send me the link.. i'll add it anytime.. :) Just for your info, that potato curry was my own invention, I used boiled potatoes, baby onion stems, capsicums, and kothamalli.. :)

Mohan K.V said...

That curry looks stud-o-stud! Pseud ra babu! :-)

Berhael said...

@mohan
thanks ra.. you're welcome to come to USC anytime.. :D